About the Synopsys Outreach Foundation
The Synopsys Silicon Valley Science and Technology Outreach Foundation enables and celebrates students and teachers engaged in project-based learning at schools across California, and parts of Oregon and encourages participation in science fairs.
Founded in July 1999, the Synopsys Outreach Foundation offers materials and equipment to schools, and offers incentives for teachers and students developing science projects.
The Foundation annually enables an estimated 150,000 students and teachers engaged in project-based learning at public schools and private non-profit schools with 501(c)(3) status in California, and select schools affiliated with regional offices of Synopsys, Inc. in Hillsboro, Oregon.
The Synopsys Outreach Foundation serves as the major sponsor of the Synopsys Silicon Valley Science and Technology Championship (the regional fair for students in Santa Clara County (CA)), the Synopsys Sonoma County (CA) STEAM Showcase, The Synopsys Alameda County (CA) Science & Engineering Fair, sciencepalooza! (a science fair for students in the East Side Union High School District of San Jose), and enables numerous science fairs at the district, middle and elementary school levels.
Additional Foundation programs and competitions include The Advanced Science Research Facility, The Advanced Science Research Class, SuperSchool teacher training seminars, the Synopsys Outreach Foundation n +1 Prize and Science Fair 101 for Parents.
Please check our Calendar of Activities and this web site periodically for the latest information.
Synopsys Outreach Foundation Board of Directors
- Dana Ditmore – President, Oak Valley Consulting, Inc.
- Thomas Ferry – VP, Product Marketing, SEG, Silicon Engineering Group, Synopsys Inc.
- Coral Clark – Education and Public Outreach Coordinator, SOFIA
- Erin Guzman – Director, Corporate Affairs, Synopsys Inc.
- Michael Kaufman – Dean, College of Science (SJSU)
- Melinda Marks – VP of Marketing at Armorblox
- Roy Okuda – Professor of Chemistry, San Jose State University
- Larke Reeber – Santa Clara Valley Science & Engineering Fair Association
- Lynn Shannon – Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Simone Souza – Sr. Public Relations Manager. Synopsys, Inc.
- Narayanan Raju, PhD. – Sr. Staff Engineer, Synopsys, Inc.
- Amelia Shen – Director, R & D, Synopsys, Inc.
- Brandon Thompson – R & D, Synopsys, Inc.
Tax Exempt Status
In a letter dated January 5, 2001, The Internal Revenue Service determined that the Synopsys Silicon Valley Science & Technology Outreach Foundation is “exempt from federal income tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code as an organization described in section 501(c)(3).” The IRS further determined that the Foundation is “a private operating Foundation within the meaning of section 509 (a) of the Code.”